I love this season

I love this season
"For everything there is a season..." Eccl. 3:1

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Iron Sharpens Iron by Howard & William Hendricks

"People often lack insight into themselves."  Authors Howard & William Hendricks remind readers of the incredible blessing found when we grant someone who's willing permission to speak objectively into our lives in. They note that, ideally we should invite a variety of influences to walk through life with us.

What led me to pick up this book was that although I have been mentoring teenagers for years, I felt like I needed to reevaluate what I could do better as a mentor.  I needed sharpening. I want to be found a faithful steward of those young lives I have been privileged to pour into during this season.  If that's where you find yourself, it's an excellent resource.  While it's geared towards men, I believe the principles transcend across the gender lines for women.

On the flip side, I treasure the wisdom and love I've received and continue to receive from older women and from my peers.  I am grateful for those who are willing to take time to invest in me, to ask me hard questions, who  pray for me, or who ask me how things are going, like maybe my scripture memory, or something I've confided to them.  What's so cool is that I've discovered that during different seasons of life God has had a way of leading just the right faith friends my way at just the right times to encourage me and to offer insight.

One statement that really stuck our in Iron Sharpens Iron was, "A mentor can help you pick up the pace in personal development."  We need to stop buying the lie that only weak men/women need help; the truth is, men/women who seek help become strong. The Hendricks encourage readers to seek out a Paul, Barnabas, and Timothy in our lives and explain why this is important.

I also wanted to share a little of what I gleaned from this book because I have heard a lot of folks mention recently that they are praying for a mentor or that they are looking for a mentor.  One half of Iron Sharpens Iron is written to the protegees/mentorees on how to find a mentor.  All the tips are right on target. 

I really enjoyed reading the Hendrick's book, gleaning some new insights, and  lots of take a ways.  I would recommend Iron Sharpens Iron to anyone of any age.  It's never too late to learn and be sharpened by someone or to offer to pour into a peer or a young Timothy.  I think it's an excellent resource, very practical, very biblical in its principles, and very encouraging/inspiring. 

As for me, I am thankful for the blessing of those clearly defined relationships with precious women that "encourage, enhance, and motivate me to love Jesus with all of my heart, soul, mind, and to finish life without dishonoring God's name."

"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."  Proverbs 27:17

As Iron Sharpens Iron

No comments:

Post a Comment